Skip to main content

7 inspirational quotes about habits

Here are 7 inspirational quotes and sayings about habits. 

“Little by little a little becomes a lot.”
(Tanzanian Proverb.)


This quote really speaks to the power of habits. The results of small daily actions accumulate over time to something really big. It may feel like you are only making baby steps but when you look back in hindsight you will realize that’s what got you where you are. Don’t think just doing a little won’t make a difference – because over time it makes a huge difference!

“Daily deeds determine destinies.”
(The Fortune Teller.)


(Excerpt from “Goalbits – Use goal-based habits to become healthier, wealthier and happier” by Barney Matthews.)
There was once a young man who contemplated his life a lot. He was always wondering if he was going to be successful. Would he be rich? Would he make something of his life?
Over the years, he asked everyone he knew “do you think I am going to have a successful life?”
Everyone he asked replied “I can’t answer that for you.”
Still he wanted to know the answer to his question.
After many years of searching for the answer, he made the decision to go see a Fortune Teller. He didn’t particularly believe in Fortune Tellers, but he didn’t know what else to do. He needed to know the answer to his question. So he found a Fortune Teller in his town and arranged to go see her.
The day of the appointment arrived and he went to see the Fortune Teller at her place of business. He entered the small, non-descript building, and there sitting in a comfortable chair was the Fortune Teller.
“You must be the young man I spoke to earlier this week. What can I do for you?” asked the Fortune Teller kindly.
“I hope you can help. I want to know about my life. I want to know, am I going to be successful in life? Can you help me?” replied the boy.
“I can, with certainty,” responded the Fortune Teller.
“Tell me what you do every day,” continued the Fortune Teller.
“Aren’t you supposed to look in a crystal ball or consult the cards,” asked the young man puzzled.
“Answer my question and I will tell you how your life will turn out,” responded the Fortune Teller.
Reluctantly the boy tells her. “I usually wake up late, I go to school, I come home, I quickly do my homework, I play computer games, I watch TV and then I go to bed.”
“You will be poor in wealth and poor in health,” said the Fortune Teller.
“That’s terrible,” said the young man “I’m doomed.”
“You are not doomed,” said the Fortune Teller.
“I don’t understand,” said the young man, “you said you can tell what my life will be like with certainty.”
“I can,” said the Fortune Teller. “However, you can change your future at any time.”
“How do I change my future? Can you tell me how?” said the young man.
“Daily deeds determine destinies,” said the Fortune Teller, “Daily deeds determine destinies. What you do every day will become your destiny. If you change your daily deeds, you will change your destiny. You need to change your daily deeds, you need to change your habits.”
“How do I do that?” asked the young man.
“First you need to decide how you want your life to be, and then you need to create habits to get you there,” explained the Fortune Teller.
“So, I am in control of how my life will end up,” said the young man. “If I decide how I want my life to end up, I can make it happen.”
“This is true. Your daily deeds determine your destiny and you determine your daily deeds. Now you know the answer to the question you have always wanted to know, was within you the whole time. Farewell young man. I wish you a good and successful life,” said the Fortune Teller.

“Habits change in to character.”
(Ovid.)


Character is defined as “the mental and moral qualities distinctive to an individual.” Whatever habits you keep doing will turn in to who you are. If people see you as a healthy eater – its because you have cultivated healthy eating habits. If people see you as a runner – its because you have cultivated the habit of running. If people see you as a kind person its because you have cultivated the habit of helping others.

“Character is simply habit long continued.”
(Plutarch.)
 

If you want to know why you are the way that you are – look at your habits! 

“You are what you repeat.” 
(Barney Matthews.) 


“Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out.”
(Robert Collier.)


You know those people you see who are “overnight successes”? Guess what, it took them years of habitual work to become an overnight success! You can’t go for a run once and expect to finish a marathon. You need to work on it every day. You can’t expect to be as good as Ed Sheeran with one guitar lesson – you need to practice every single day!

“We are what we repeat do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit.”
(Aristotle.)


This is perhaps one of the most famous quotes about habits. “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit.” Greatness doesn’t happen by practicing once, it happens by practicing repeatedly.

The recurring theme in all these quotes and sayings is the effects of habits multiply over time. If you keep doing someone every day, eventually you see see great results.